By Bill Deaton-Outdoor Ramblings
Undoubtedly skiing and snowboarding are popular Pocono pastimes, but there’s more to do at our local mountains than just glide down the hill and catch a chairlift back up, and there’s plenty of opportunities to save some cash in the process. From winter carnivals to special days for kids and college students, there’s lots of events and deals to be found through the winter.
Elk Mountain: Union Dale. 570-679-4400. www.elkskier.com
- 1/10 Winterfest-Discount Tix from Ski Corner, Dickson City & Top of the Slope, Wilkes-Barre
- 1/24 Winterfest-Discount Tix from Ski Shack, Moosic & Buckman’s, Lehigh Valley locations
Montage Mountain: Scranton. 1-888-SKI-SWIM. www.montagemountainresorts.com
- 1/18 Kids’ Carnival-Games, Character Appearances
- 1/25 Polar Plunge — Splashin’ with Compassion
- 1/26 THON Day – 10% of ticket sales go to Penn State University’s THON
- 2/15 Fireworks & Torchlight Parade
- 2/22 Open Youth Racing Day (6-20) Race Fee $15 or $25 for Race and Lift
- 2/23 Adult Open Racing Day (21+) Race Fee $15 or $30 for Race and Lift
- 3/1 Salami Slalom Race
- 3/7 Mountain Festival – Pond Skimming, Gin Blossoms Concert
- College Specials Every Sunday (night) & Thursday (all day)
$25 lifts and rentals w/ID (except 1/19 & 2/23)
Jack Frost/Big Boulder: Blakeslee. 570-443-8425. www.jfbb.com
- 1/10 WMMR Day (JF)
- 1/11 After Hours Rail Jam (JF-evening)
- 1/18 Pizza and Demos on the Snow (BB)
- 1/19 Mighty Mites (kids 13 & under) Park Day (BB)
- 1/25 Women’s Park Clinic (BB)
- 2/1 Subaru Winter Fest (JF demos, games, givewaways)
- 2/2 Subaru Winter Fest (JF demos, games, giveaways)
- 2/16 Fireworks & Torchlight Parade (BB)
- 2/29 Ski For The Cure (JF)
- 3/1 WMMR Cardboard Classic Race (JF)
Ski-Big Bear: Lackawaxen: 570-226-8585. www.ski-bigbear.com
- 1/2 Lake Region Ski Club Thursday Kickoff $12 lifts, $12 rentals for Wallenpaupack, Wayne Highlands, and Delaware Valley School District Residents.
- 1/5 Lake Region Ski Club Sunday Kickoff $25 lifts, $18 rentals for Wallenpaupack, Wayne Highlands, and Delaware Valley School District Residents.
- 1/26 Winter Carnival (Races, Scavenger Hunt, S’mores, Cornhole)
- Every Thursday — $18 lifts, $15 rentals for Wallenpaupack, Wayne Highlands, and Delaware Valley School District Residents
- Every Sunday — (except 1/19 & 2/16) $35 lifts, $22 rentals for Wallenpaupack, Wayne Highlands, and Delaware Valley School District Residents.
- Every Friday — Family Nights $18 tix, $15 rentals, Free Lessons for residents of Western Wayne, Wallenpaupack, Wayne Highlands, Delaware Valley, Eldred, Port Jervis, & Sullivan West School Districts.
Camelback: Tannersville. 570-629-1661. www.skicamelback.com
- 2/1 Telemark Ski Festival & Ski Patrol Open House
- 2/15 Polar Plunge –Freezin’ for a Reason
Shawnee: East Stroudsburg. 570-421-7231. www.shawneemt.com
- 1/12 World Snow Day – Snowboard Demos
- 2/2 Scout Sunday
- 2/3-7 Take Your Son or Daughter to the Snow (Free Youth Ticket w/ Purchase of Adult Ticket)
- 2/23 Winter Festival
- 3/14 Scout Weekend
- 3/20 Military Appreciation Weekend
- 3/22 Little Big Air Competition for Suicide Prevention
- 3/22 Costume Carnival
By no means is this a comprehensive list of ski areas or events. It’s just a sample of some of what’s going on in the region. Resorts are always adding things and special deals exist through retailers and other partners. Winter is short. Get out and enjoy the snow!